The teacher needs to tell the learners in short about various ways of describing people. There are two important things which need to be mentioned whenever we describe a person:
1. physical attributes such as facial features, build, height, weight, complexion and so on.
2. emotional qualities such as attitudes, moods, positive habits(strengths) and limitations
The teacher can further simplify this and tell them that the body, the mind and the heart of a person play an important role in describing the person. While the physical appearance may be important for a police officer to catch hold of a chain- snatcher or a thief in a market, a person's attitude towards life may be more important to a company's owner while hiring a secretary. Hence it is important to learn how to describe peoples' physical features as well as their emotional state.
Here is a simple activity based plan to make second language learners understand how to describe people in different ways.
Lesson Plan 2: Who are you? Topic: Describing People.
fat - thin,
handsome(for boys) -beautiful(for girls),
Person Description cards:
1. My name is Suresh. I am ten. I have brown hair and brown eyes. I like music and computer games. I have a grey T-shirt and jeans.
2. My name is Dinesh. I am nine. I have brown hair and brown eyes. I like flowers. I have white shirt blue jacket and black trousers.
3. My name is Vijaya. I am eleven. I have dark hair and small eyes. I like gardening. I have a blue, white and yellow dress and shoes.
4. My name is Zeenat. I am three. I have dark hair and blue eyes. I like my pet. I have a pink and orange dress, yellow shoes and cap.
5. My name is Bimal. I am ten. I have blond hair and brown eyes. I have yellow T-shirt, denim and shoes.
6. My name is Anand. I am seven. I have blond hair and brown eyes. I like ice cream. I have a blue dress and indigo shoes.
7. My name is Prakash. I am five. I have blond hair and green eyes. I like playing with toys. I have a yellow T-shirt, denim and shoes.
My name is Meera. I am eight. I have dark hair and brown eyes. I like reading. I have a green and yellow T-shirt and black trousers.
My name is Sunaina. I am six. I have blond hair and dark eyes. I like flowers. I have a blue and white dress and brown shoes.
My name is Megha. I am eight. I have dark hair and brown eyes. I like to go to school. I have a pink T-shirt, yellow skirt and pink shoes.
Who Am I?
a) I am not afraid of ghosts and monsters. I am very small. I am the nephew of a famous detective dog.
My name is __________________________________.
b) I am always in green. I can run. My best friend is a dog. I am always very hungry. I am scared when I see a monster.
I am __________________________________.
c) I am not beautiful. My favourite colour is orange. I wear glasses. I am very intelligent.
What's my name?_________________________________.
d) I love eating. I am funny. I am brown and black. I can speak and run. Monsters are horrible. I don’t like them.
Guess my name?_________________________________.
e) I am tall and blonde. I drive the van. I like sports. I have a good intuition.
Do you know my name? __________________________________.
f) I am beautiful. I have red hair.
Who am I?__________________________________.
9. What clothes does your best friend like to wear?
10. What is your pet's best quality?
4. Describe what you like about your Art Teacher.
This plan is made for a beginner's level and you will find that it focuses more on physical descriptions and a little bit about likes and dislikes of people.